Do you know your requirements for Energy, Water and Benchmarking (EWRB) in Ontario? It’s the Law

Many Facility Managers may not realize, that as of last summer (2018), all property owners with more than 50,000 square feet must start reporting their property’s water and energy usage to the Ministry of Energy, Northern Development and Mines (ENDM).

Energy and Water usage can be some of the largest operating costs in your building. Did you know that buildings in Ontario account for 19% of Ontario’s total Green House Gas (GHG) emissions? * Identifying your consumption can lead to improvements and costs savings because you are now tracking your building usage, which can be used to identify new energy and water efficiency opportunities. Once you understand how much energy and water is being consumed, you can compare your usage to any similar buildings in your portfolio and work towards energy reduction.

The government is especially interested in existing buildings, as many owners/facility managers do not measure or track their building energy performance and this information can play an important role in conservation and GHG reduction objectives through EWRB. (Newer builds are already regulated through codes and standards for their energy consumption.)

EWRB Reporting is been phased-in as of July 1, 2018-2020. All owners with a commercial, institutional, industrial or multi-unit residential building over 50,000 square feet in size must report their property’s water and energy usage on an annual basis to the Ministry of Energy by July 1 of each year.

Here are the implementation Phases:

  • Commercial & Industrial Buildings (250,000 sq ft and larger) July 1, 2018 deadline (for 2017 calendar year)

  • Multi-unit Resident, Commercial & Industrial Buildings (100,000 sq ft and larger) July 1, 2019 (for 2018 calendar year)

  • Multi-unit Residential, Commercial & Industrial Buildings (50,000 sq ft and larger) July 1, 2020 (for 2019 calendar year)

What, where and when you need to report:

  • Your building information

  • Your EWRB ID (a 6-digit number assigned to your property by the Ministry of ENDM)

  • Your usage data – You need to collect a full year (Jan 1 to Dec 31) of energy data on all forms of energy your building uses (oil, gas, water, diesel etc). Where do this find this data?

  • All buildings over 100,000 square feet or larger will need a certified professional engineer to verify your first report before submitting, then every subsequent 5 years. This is the requirement of the Ministry of ENDM.

  • Log in for an account on the Portfolio Manager EWRB website and enter the data for all your buildings and your report from a certified professional (if needed).

Once the government has this data, they are hoping that it will reveal new insights about how our province uses energy and water to inform future policies and programs.

For more information please visit

*Reference – Ontario Regulatory Registry

Written by:

Derrick Finn

P.E. Engineer at Finn Projects

with our latest education programs, news updates, articles and more!

Stay Connected

@2018 by AM FM Consulting Group Inc  |  Terms of Use